Saturday, May 30th, 2015, 12:22:53 pm
Many factors are taken into consideration when deciding to close schools, but the safety of students and staff is the number one consideration.
- View a video about your school district's snow closure procedures
- Read the Frequently Asked Questions
- All families should make advanced arrangements for their children in case of school closures and for the rare situation when it is necessary to close an individual school because of circumstances.
- Children should know where to go if a parent will not be home and how to contact parents or guardians.
- Parent contact information, including work telephone numbers, should be kept up-to-date through Jeffco Connect. If you are instructed to pick up your student at a location other than their school due to a school closure, you will be asked to present photo ID before the student will be released.
- In cold weather students should be dressed appropriately. No one can predict when a fire alarm might go off or when buildings might have to be evacuated due to an emergency.
- Since parents are the primary protectors they will need to decide what is best for their children regardless of any decision by the school district. The option to keep children home when weather conditions are extreme is always at the parents' discretion and the school understands and respects the decision. Parents can contact the school and arrange for an excused student absence.
SchoolMessengerThe district offers an emergency messaging system, SchoolMessenger, that can send critical announcements, such as snow closures, to families 24 hours a days, in multiple languages, using voice messages, e-mail, and text messaging. Contact information parents submit in Jeffco Connect is used in SchoolMessenger for sending messages to parents.
Watch the News Media
Listen and watch the news media, particularly local TV stations, for these messages:
"All Jeffco Public Schools are closed"
"All Jeffco Mountain Schools are closed"
Mountain Schools are:
- Bergen Meadow Elementary
- Bergen Valley Elementary
- Coal Creek Canyon K-8
- Conifer High School
- Elk Creek Elementary
- Evergreen Middle School
- Evergreen High School
- Marshdale Elementary
- Mountain Phoenix
- Ralston Elementary
- Rocky Mountain Academy of Evergreen
- Parmalee Elementary
- West Jefferson Elementary
- West Jefferson Middle School
- Wilmot Elementary
View Social Media SitesView the district's Twitter and Facebook pages for updates about closures and emergency announcements.
Length of an Emergency School Closure
Unless otherwise announced, school weather related closures are for one day only.
If there is NO announcement schools will operate as usual.
Check with individual schools or event sponsors regarding the cancellation of events and activities. Many of these announcements are also available through the media.Make Up Days
District policy mandates specific number of days each year that teachers must work directly with students. When a school falls below this level, make up days, which will be announced, may need to be scheduled. Check the district's school year calendar for more details.
Jeffco schools frequently send messages to parents and guardians to ensure they are informed about safety related issues. Copies of these messages, which relate to neighborhood safety, can be found here. You can also sign-up for an RSS feed to get notifications of alerts.
Parents and guardians should always ensure that their contact information is updated in order to receive communications from schools. Contact information can be updated through Jeffco Connect.
Security and Emergency Management
Jeffco Public Schools is committed to protecting the safety and well-being of our students and staff. We understand that students learn best when they can attend classes in a secure and welcoming environment. Our Security staff are at work 24 hours a day protecting our schools. Read more and see contact information.
SAFE2TELL® is designed to help students anonymously report any threatening behavior that endangers them, their friends, family, or the community. Call 877-542-7233 to get help.
Call the district's hotline at 303-982-6600 for the latest updates about school emergencies and alerts.District Safety Plan
The district's Safety Plan identifies security programs and measures that focus on prevention, intervention and crisis response. The School Safety Plan is designed to be used by school principals to create safe and respectful school environments. Read the plan. Also learn about the Standard Response Protocol for responding to school emergencies.Brochure for Parents
The district has created a brochure that will give parents steps to follow in case of a school emergency. Download the brochure.Code of Conduct
We believe our schools are safer when students have clear expectations about their behavior toward other students and staff, and an understanding of the consequences of inappropriate behavior. At the beginning of each school year students are giving a copy of the Code of Conduct:District Policies Regarding Safety, Security and Student Behavior
Jeffco Public Schools has created policies and procedures to help ensure the safety and well being of our students and staff. All schools practice the Standard Response Protocol. See also:Contact Information
For a school-related emergency, call:
Security Dispatch at 303-982-2445.