Jeffco Public Schools records are public unless otherwise protected from disclosure. Records available to the public must be inspected during regular business hours in the presence of the custodian of the record in a location that will not disrupt school district operations. There is no duty to create a public record that does not already exist.
If more than one hour of staff time is required to respond to the request for records, staff time in excess of one hour will be charged to the person seeking access at the rate of $20 per hour, to be paid prior to inspection of the records. Copies may be furnished upon request and within a reasonable time at a cost not to exceed 25 cents per page, or the cost of the electronic file (CD) to be determined by the custodian of records. For the purposes of these procedures, Communications Services shall serve as the Custodian of Records. The fee must be paid in advance. At the custodian’s prerogative, in lieu of the fee set forth above, the requestor may be charged a reasonable retrieval fee based on the actual cost of responding, including employee time, or gathering, preparing, and copying requested documents.
If records are readily available, the fee may be waived or the fee may be a lesser amount per page for copies.
To make a records request, per the Colorado Open Records law, please complete the online form
Send written request via U.S. mail to:
Jeffco Public Schools
Communications Services Office
Open Records Request
1829 Denver West Drive #27
Golden, CO 80401
See the online form to determine the required information for written requests.
Time for Response
- The normal time for production shall be three working days, beginning on the first
business day after the request is received.
- Such period may be extended upon determination by the custodian that extenuating circumstances exist; such period of extension shall not normally exceed seven working days. The requester shall be notified of the extension within the three-day period.
- Time periods for items received on a weekend, outside of regular business hours or holidays will be calculated without including the date on which the custodian
receives the request.
Related District Polices & State Law
- District Policy JRA/JRC- Student Records/Release of Information
- District Policy KDB- Public's Right to Know
- District Policy GBJ- Personnel Records and Files
- District Policy GBJA- Disclosure of Information to Prospective Employers
- District CORA Procedures
- TITLE 24 - ARTICLE 72 - Public (Open) Records