January 5, 2014
Dear Jeffco Stakeholders,
Jeffco Public Schools wants your input as we develop the 2014-15 budget. Members of the Jefferson County Board of Education have made community engagement a top priority; gathering this information will be valuable as the board moves forward in the budget development process. The board sets specific goals called Ends Policies which direct the work of the superintendent and district. Ends Policies are an essential component of the board's governance structure. Jeffco's 2014-15 budget will be developed to support the goals of these Ends Policies.
The Board of Education Goals
Every student will be taught by an effective teacher in a school led by an effective principal so that they are prepared for continuous learning and the world of work in the changing environment of the 21st century. Therefore,
1. Every student will master the Colorado Content Standards at grade level.
- The percentage of proficient/advanced third grade students in reading on TCAP will increase from 80 percent to 85 percent by August of 2015.
- The percentage of proficient/advanced fourth grade students in math on TCAP will increase from 77 percent to 80 percent by August 2015.
- The percentage of proficient/advanced students in writing on TCAP will increase by August 2014 to:
- Elementary – 64 percent
- Middle level – 66 percent
- High school – 59 percent
2. Every student will achieve at least one year's growth, or more as needed to catch up, in every year of school and be ready for the next level.
- The percentage of third graders scoring in the unsatisfactory category on third grade reading TCAP will decrease by 1 percentage point each year in 2014 and 2015.
- The percentage of Advanced Learning Plan students who have growth measures over 50 will increase:
- In writing from 54 to 56
- In math from 60 to 62
- In reading from 57 to 59
3. Every student will graduate career and workforce and/or post-secondary ready.
The college remediation rate for Jeffco graduates will decrease from 29.8 percent to 27.8 percent by spring 2015.
4. Every student will learn in a caring, safe, and engaging school environment that maximizes parental involvement and encourages community support.
5. Every student will become a responsible citizen.
As our work continues, we’d like to hear from you, our stakeholders. The online survey (the survey closed 2/11)is your opportunity to let us know what you believe will support the achievement of these goals. The deadline to complete the survey is Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2014. The items presented include research-based strategies, community priorities and other values that make Jeffco a strong and high-achieving organization. Thank you for taking time to respond to this survey. To assist us with reaching as many stakeholders as possible, please share this survey link with friends, families and others who may have an interest in Jeffco Public Schools.
- If you’d like to learn more about the 2014-15 budget, the Board will be hosting community forums in March. Watch for announcements and please plan to attend. The dates and times are as follows:
- Monday, March 3, 6-7:30 p.m. – Standley Lake High School and Evergreen High School
- Wednesday, March 5, 6-7:30 p.m. – Chatfield High School and Arvada West High School
- Saturday, March 8, 9:30-11 a.m. – Lakewood High School and Dakota Ridge High School
Return to the homepage.