To meet the needs of highly advanced children who have not yet entered kindergarten or first grade, Jeffco Public Schools may grant early entrance to school.
This process is not for typical children who miss the October 1 Kindergarten entrance date. Jeffco Board of Education Policy - IHBB-R.
Early Access into kindergarten or first grade was established by House Bill 1021, effective July 2008.
- The student must reach the age of four by October 1 for kindergarten.
- The student must reach the age of five by October 1 for grade one.
Who will benefit from HB 1021? The HB 1021 defines that 4 or 5 year old child who is “highly advanced gifted child.” The child is academically gifted, socially and emotionally mature and in the top 2 percent or less of the gifted population.
Gifted and Talented: firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-982-6650
Jeffco Child Find Department: 303-982-7247
- Apply - Opens in January (January 3, 2017 – April 1, 2017)
- Receive Early Access / Developmental History Form Packet from GT Office – Generated from application
- The Early Access Packet /Portfolio is due on March 24, 2017 to The Director of Gifted and Talented at the Jefferson County Education Center in order to be scheduled for cognitive testing. No exceptions.
- Early Access Team will contact parents with completed and qualifying portfolio to schedule Cognitive Testing.
- The Early Access Cognitive Testing cost $250 (waived for families who have qualified for the free/reduced lunch program)
- Cognitive Testing will be scheduled.
- Student that test in 98 percentile or above with Cognitive Testing will be scheduled for Achievement Testing.
- Notification of acceptance and non-acceptance will be sent to parents. (Week of April 28, 2017)
- Application Deadline follows Jeffco Board Policy as well as State Requirements