Per Colorado law, it is recognized that home-based education is a legitimate alternative to classroom attendance for the instruction of children. Nonpublic home-based educational programs are subject only to minimum state controls which are currently applicable to other forms of nonpublic education. (CRS 22-33-104.5.1)
Students seeking a high School diploma must be enrolled in a Jefferson County Public School.Home Based Programs
Home Based Education (HBE): is the legitimate alternative to classroom attendance for the instruction of children. Students seeking a high school diploma must be enrolled in a Jefferson County Public School. For more information call 303-982-8597.
Medical Homebound Instruction Program (HIP)
This program serves students who are unable to attend school for an extended time because of a physical and/or emotional health concern. For more information call 303-982-7255. Read more.
- Fill out the letter of intent 14 days prior to the beginning of home based education. Parents must fill out this form each year they are planning to provide home based education.The completed form must be signed and delivered (mail or walk-in) to the Home Based Office at the address below.
- Provide 172 days of instruction, averaging four (4) contact hours per day.
- Provide instruction that includes, but is not limited to, communication skills of reading, writing and speaking; mathematics; history; civics; literature; science; and regular courses of instruction in the Constitution of the United States as provided in section 22-1-108.
- Have the child evaluated when such child reaches grades three, five, seven, nine and eleven as defined in CRS 22-33-104-5 (f), using a nationally recognized standardized achievement test, and submit the results to the school district which received the letter on intent. In the case of Jeffco, to the Home Based Education Office.
- Create and keep educational records as defined in CRS 22-33-104-5 (g) including, but not limited to: immunization records, attendance data, test and evaluation results and deliver them within 14 days of a written request from the district.
- Parents may enroll in the Home School Options program for support.
- Encourage the student to attend school while the 14 day waiting period is in effect and describe the consequences of truancy if the letter of intent in not received and confirmed.
For more information call the numbers listed with each program above.
Home Based Education Office
C/O McLain High School
13600 West 2nd Place
Lakewood CO 80228