Community & Family Connections (CFC) assists families living in transition (homeless), as well as assists families applying for Medicaid/CHP+ and provides resources for other medical concerns.
The CFC liaison listed below is the contact for both homeless and Medicaid needs.
Children and youth that lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence are considered homeles.
This includes children and youth who:
- Share housing with other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason;
- Live in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations;
- Live in emergency or transitional shelters;,
- Are abandoned in hospitals;
- Are awaiting foster care placement;
- Have a primary nighttime residence that is not designed for, or ordinarily used as, a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings;
- Live in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings;
- Are migratory children living in the aforementioned circumstances;
- Are unaccompanied youth not in the physical custody of a parent of guardian.
Educational Rights of Homeless Children and Youth
- Go to school, no matter where they live or how long they have lived there;
- Choose between the local school where they are living, the school they attended before they lost their housing, or the school where they last enrolled;
- Enroll in school without proof of residency, immunizations, school records, or other documents;
- Get transportation to school;
- Free lunch and the other school services they need;
- Be free from harassment and isolation; and
- Have disagreements with the school settled quickly.
Do you know of a family in need? Parents, school staff, and community members can use our online form to refer a family to the Homeless Services program. Submit a referral.
Community Resources, Links, and Toolkits
Below are links to resources and information to help assist children and families with homelessness and at-risk issues. View resources and links.
Covering Bear Creek, Columbine, Chatfield, Conifer, Dakota Ridge, Evergreen, and Golden Articulation Areas
Covering Alameda Articulation Area
Covering Green Mountain, Lakewood and Wheat Ridge Articulation Areas
Covering Standley Lake, Ralston Valley, Pomona, Arvada, and Arvada West Articulation Areas
Covering Jefferson Articulation Area